I promised that I would keep in touch. I thought maybe a blog would help me keep my promise (something I try to always do) and to journal this new adventure.
So, it's been quite an emotional week (give or take a day) that included tears as I left work, tears as I left my kids, tears as I left family, tears as I left the house we lived in for the past eleven years, tears as I left Kansas and most recently tears when Tim asked me if I wanted to "take or store" my cookbooks. Today has been the first day I haven't felt like crying at the drop of a hat and I'm sure my husband will be thrilled.
We have been staying in an extended stay since our arrival in VA. Our original plan was to begin the search for a house immediately. I have imagined our new home many many times since we decided to make this move. You guys have all heard about our options: big, beautiful mansions... They are still out there, we're just not getting one right now (it's a God thing). Tomorrow we move into a luxury apartment in Arlington that looks out over Washington DC. From the excercise room/pool on the 18th floor you can look out and see the White House, Washington Monument and the Pentagon. It's about 2 blocks from Arlington Cemetary and in between the Pentagon City & Crystal City Metro stations. For you shoppers out there, it's right next to the Pentagon Square Mall and the Pentagon City Fashion Center (did I tell someone that I loved them enough to temporaily become a shopper if they came to visit???). We will be living 5 blocks from Tim's office. Close enough that he won't have to ride the train or drive a car and will be able to come home for lunch. We are assuming that this is a semi-temporary place, but, I guess only God knows for sure. There is still room for visitors so don't stop making your plans to come visit!
The place is exactly what I dreamed of back in the day when being just like Mary Tyler Moore and "That Girl" was my goal (I might even have to go buy a baret after we get moved in). But it is NOT what I'm used to. For goodness sakes, there seriously isn't a Wal-Mart within 2 hours of there!!! Besides that, Mary didn't have a 4 year old boy. What is he supposed to do when he gets the urge to play with rolly-polly's or bury a dead worm (where is he going to get a worm)??
I could go on and on but suffice it to say that things are very different here. It's nothing that I'm used to. Nothing familiar (except McDonalds) and I have no idea what tomorrow holds. Tomorrow is moving day and I pray that my heart will be more settled as I settle into the new home.
I owe a special thanks to Randi for sharing her experience and wisdom about leaving home (I am holding you to the 2 weeks!!); to Kyle and Maliea for encouraging me even when they are hurting as much as I am and to my husband and little boy who make anywhere we go home by being there. I can't do this without each of you.
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
MOM!!!!! such a change...such an experiance...such and ADVENTURE! im sad for you because i know the fear and lonliness. but im more excited knowing that this new direction holds many blessings!!!! and p.s. i know that promise wasnt to me....but i may take you up on it none-the-less!
i love you!!!!!
Hi, I'm Leslye, and I'm a shopaholic. I love you and have no doubt that you will adjust. You are great with change and Grant is happy as long as he is with you. This is a chance for you to experience him. You both will grow together from all of this. It's amazing how you come to depend on each other and he will become your world more than he already is.
You have been adventurous since day one and there has never been ANYTHING you couldn't do.Randi may be Rosemary's grand daughter but you are the daughter. Look at as it is and don't you find it exciting that you and I are both doing this thing at the same time. Just get all the enjoyment out of it you can and we'll compare stories when we see each other again. With Tim and GW there with you it'll all be fine. loveya more
ghhhhg
Post a Comment